Wednesday 25 September 2013

Revisting Dilli Haat!

My second assignment at college was making a photo journal on a topic of our interest.
At first when I was given this assignment I was a bit apprehensive and nervous as I had never in my life done photography professionally at any level before. 
We chose to make capture dilli haat in our cameras.
The topic was Dilli Haat: A shopper's Paradise.
And it couldn't be more apt.

Though I had been to this place about 3 years ago, this time I was here I could see it in a completely different light. Inspite of the fact that I was here actually to work and the sun shining on our foreheads(it was 2 pm afternoon) I couldn't be more ecstatic.

Dilli Haat located in the heart of the city is the most colorful and vivacious place to take photographs. It is a market cum hang out place where one gets the widest variety of Indian Handicrafts and Handlooms.

After reaching the location, it wasn’t a tough task to shoot because everything around us was so mesmerizing that we were forced to capture the beauty in your camera. The breath taking collection of Madhubani paintings, lamps, drapery and brassware offers an insight into the rich Indian culture. This place indeed is a shopper’s paradise.

The first few shots came out a little not-so-appealing as it was my first time at photography but after a while I was very comfortable with the camera and took some good shots. We were at the site for about a good 6-7 hours.

Also I was lucky to witness the Bengali cultural festival which was taking place in the vicinity of the haat. Lovely little young girls dressed up in beautiful Bengali sarees and make up and dancing to the spirited music. Sheer sightliness.

Now the tough task at hand was to select  the best 15 photographs from around the 300 pictures that we had clicked that day.
It took a lot of thinking and patience.
Finally we decided 15 photographs that we thought would be the best to showcase the true polychromatic essence of the place and at the same time would make the viewers appreciate our photography skills.

This assignment proved very fruitful for me as it instilled a confidence in me, which I earlier lacked that even I can take a few good pictures every now and then!




 
Love Birds. Made from wood. Artwork from Rajasthan.

Me and Sazia! Pic courtesy: Amit.

Here, at the Haat you find the most beautiful collection of lamps. Be it indian or chinese.

Pretty baskets. Big and small. In every color you can possibly imagine.

Every single thing gives you a feeling of a second skin.. the feeling of being crafted just for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment